Welcome to Koala Class!
Your teacher in Koala class is Mrs Cousins and your LSA is Miss Goddard. Mr Goldsmith teaches PE.
Here are some fab facts about koalas!
- Koalas are NOT bears. They are marsupials.
- Koalas have two thumbs on each hand.
- Koalas are VERY fussy eaters. They only eat eucalyptus leaves.
- Koalas have a hard bottom which helps them to get comfy in the branches.
- Koalas sleep for up to 20 hours a day!
Why are Koalas endangered?
- Deforestation – This is a worldwide problem. Koalas are losing their habitat and food source with alarming speed.
- Disease – Koalas are being forced onto the ground due to deforestation, where they are vulnerable to picking up diseases, being run over or attacked by dogs.
- Global Warming – Australia was ravaged by the worst ever natural bush fire season.
How can we help?
- Raise awareness of climate change and conservation.
- Support charities which are helping endangered animals worldwide.
- Koala Class will be raising money to support the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital.
- For every £10 (20 AUS Dollars), a eucalyptus tree will be planted.
- Koala Class will be doing a sponsored event early on in the year, with the aim of raising £43 to sponsor one of the koalas in the hospital.
Newsletter and Topic Webs